At the concept stage of a development scheme, designers should ask if they have considered the following:
- Will external targets be used for the design?
e.g. Building for Life: Gold Standard BREEAM: Excellent Code for Sustainable Homes: Level 6
- Has a vision or design concept been developed to establish the character of the development?
- Has the guidance for Design and Access Statements been consulted from project initiation? A Design and Access Statement should be commenced at the outset of a scheme.
- Have all policies, guidance and designations in relation to the site and its context been checked and taken into account?
- Where such opportunities exist, have alternative options for sites been considered, regarding capacity, access, environmental impact etc?
- Have local needs and aspirations been identified?
- How will local stakeholders be identified and involved in the aspirations for the development and its character?
- Has an appraisal of the site been undertaken?
- Has an appraisal of the context been undertaken?
- How will the analysis of these appraisals inform the character of the development?